Amazingly Easy and GOOD Vegetarian Hot & Sour Soup
- 4 c
- chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp
- soy sauce, dark
- 3/4 c
- coarsely chopped mushrooms
- 3/4 Tbsp
- chili garlic sauce (in the big red squeeze bottle)
- 1/4 c
- white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp
- white pepper
- 1/3 c
- bamboo shoots (canned, julienned)
- 3 oz
- tofu, firm (diced)
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- cold water
- egg, beaten
- green onions, chopped to the tops
- 1/2 tsp
- sesame oil
How to Make Amazingly Easy and GOOD Vegetarian Hot & Sour Soup
- 1Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- 2Stir in soy sauce. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the mushrooms and chili sauce. Bring back to a gentle simmer.
- 4Add the white vinegar, pepper and bamboo shoots. Stir well and bring back to simmer.
- 5Gently stir in the diced tofu. Don't worry if it gets a little cloudy. Tofu can just behave a little differently every time.
- 6In a separate dish, stir the cornstarch into the cold water until smooth. Once smooth, add it to the soup and all to simmer for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- 7To save dishes, rinse out the dish you used to mix the cornstarch, and use it to beat the egg until smooth. Slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the soup in streams. Once all egg is in soup, gently stir. All to heat for about 3 minutes.
- 8Add the green onions and sesame oil. Gently stir.
- 9Serve hot. If desired, add a couple of drops of chili sauce to top of soup, just prior to serving.