Amazingly Easy and GOOD Vegetarian Hot & Sour Soup
4 cchicken stock
3 Tbspsoy sauce, dark
3/4 ccoarsely chopped mushrooms
3/4 Tbspchili garlic sauce (in the big red squeeze bottle)
1/4 cwhite vinegar
1/4 tspwhite pepper
1/3 cbamboo shoots (canned, julienned)
3 oztofu, firm (diced)
2 Tbspcold water
2green onions, chopped to the tops
1/2 tspsesame oil
How to Make Amazingly Easy and GOOD Vegetarian Hot & Sour Soup
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in soy sauce. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and chili sauce. Bring back to a gentle simmer.
- Add the white vinegar, pepper and bamboo shoots. Stir well and bring back to simmer.
- Gently stir in the diced tofu. Don't worry if it gets a little cloudy. Tofu can just behave a little differently every time.
- In a separate dish, stir the cornstarch into the cold water until smooth. Once smooth, add it to the soup and all to simmer for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- To save dishes, rinse out the dish you used to mix the cornstarch, and use it to beat the egg until smooth. Slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the soup in streams. Once all egg is in soup, gently stir. All to heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the green onions and sesame oil. Gently stir.
- Serve hot. If desired, add a couple of drops of chili sauce to top of soup, just prior to serving.