World Champion's Cullen Skink
I am also a World Porridge Champion and World Speciality Porridge Champion.
- one medium onion, very finely diced (i lost a bit of fingernail during the competition, that fine)
- 250g duke of york potatoes from stuart morris at balgersho, diced to 1cm
- 25g unsalted scottish butter
- 10ml stark's rapeseed oil
- 300ml water from your favourite well
- 250g undyed smoked haddock from the lovely wee fish shop in lady wynd (make the effort, you do want to win!)
- 500ml full fat gold top milk
- chiffonade of parsley and chives
- salt and pepper to taste
Tip in the potatoes and fry for another few moments. Crank up the heat and add the water, lift the fish from the milk and pour it in, ease down to a gentle simmer (the soup, not you).
Not that tricky really. Take a couple of ladles of the soup and pound in a mortar and pestle until smooth, then tip back in. You now have a thick soup that still has chunks in it
Aren't you clever!
You do make your own bread, don't you!