Manhattan-Style Seafood Stew1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
5 slicebacon, chopped
1/2 largeonion, chopped
5 largeshallots or green onions, chopped
5 can(s)italian plum tomatoes, 1/4 pound each, drained
24 ozbottled clam juice
3/4 cdry white wine
1/4 tspdried red pepper, crushed
1 lbpotatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced
1/2 lbclams, well scrubbed
1/2 lbsea scallops, halved crosswise
1/2 lbmedium shrimp, uncooked, peeled, deveined, tails intact
30fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 Tbsplemon peel, julienned
How to Make Manhattan-Style Seafood Stew
- Cook bacon in a heavy large pot over medium heat until fat renders, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and shallots and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Chop tomatoes in a food processor.
- Add to pot with clam juice, wine, bay leaves and dried red pepper.
- Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes to stew and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate; return to simmer before continuing).
- Add clams to stew.
- Cover and simmer until clams begin to open, about 5 minutes.
- Add scallops and shrimp, cover and simmer until clams open and scallops and shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Discard clams that do not open.
- Mix in half of basil.
- Transfer stew to a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil and lemon peel.