Maine Boatman's Stew
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
- 6 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 large
- onions, sliced
- red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 oz
- mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1-lb can(s)
- salt and pepper
- dried thyme
- 1-1/2 c
- 2 lb
- whitefish fillets, skinned (i use haddock)
- 1/2 c
- white wine
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped parsley
How to Make Maine Boatman's Stew
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions. Cook until begining to look transluscent. Add the pepper and cook until the vegetables are softened.
- 2Add the mushrooms and the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
- 3Add the thyme, salt, pepper and water the simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4Add the fish and wine and cook until the fish flakes easily, about 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
- 5To serve, place a piece of toasted French bread in the bottom of the soup bowl and spoon the fish stew over it.
- 6Shellfish may be added with the fish, if desired. Substitute green peppers for red peppers.
The stew may also be served over rice. Accompany with a green salad.