Maine Boatman's Stew
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
6 Tbspolive oil
2 largeonions, sliced
1red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
4 ozmushrooms, sliced
1 1-lb can(s)tomatoes
pinchsalt and pepper
2 lbwhitefish fillets, skinned (i use haddock)
1/2 cwhite wine
2 Tbspchopped parsley
How to Make Maine Boatman's Stew
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions. Cook until begining to look transluscent. Add the pepper and cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the mushrooms and the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the thyme, salt, pepper and water the simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the fish and wine and cook until the fish flakes easily, about 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
- To serve, place a piece of toasted French bread in the bottom of the soup bowl and spoon the fish stew over it.
- Shellfish may be added with the fish, if desired. Substitute green peppers for red peppers.
The stew may also be served over rice. Accompany with a green salad.