★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 lb
- fresh haddock
- 3 c
- cold water
- 1/4 lb
- fat salt pork, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- medium onions, finely chopped or sliced
- medium potatoes, diced into 1/2 - inch cubes, or enough to make 2 cups
- 4 c
- milk, heated but not boiled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp
How to Make Fish Chowder
- 1Cover haddock with the cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until just tender and fish begins to break apart.
- 2Remove fish from water, saving the cooking broth.
- 3Let cool. Fry salt pork until brown and crisp. Add onions and cook untik soft.
- 4Add broth and potatoes, and simmer until potatoes are done. Add fish chunks.
- 5Add milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Add butter and remove from heat. Cool 1 to 2 hours.
- 6Reheat just to boiling point before serving, without stirring, so the fish will remain in chunks.