Creamy Seafood Chowder w/bacon,thyme,jalapeno
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
- 4 slice
- bacon, cut crosswise into 3/4
- medium shallot, minced
- jalapeno, seeded and very finely chopped (@ 2 tablespoons)
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 can(s)
- chopped clams, clams and juice separated (@ 1 cup)
- 2 bottle
- clam juice (8-oz ea.)
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- medium unpeeled red potatoes cut into 1/2" dice
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 3/4 lb
- skinless haddock or cod fillets
- kosher salt and ground pepper
How to Make Creamy Seafood Chowder w/bacon,thyme,jalapeno
- 1In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper-toweled-lined plate, leaving the fat in the pan.
- 2Add the shallots and 1 Tablespon of the jalapeno to the bacon fat and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually stir in all the clam juice (from the cans and bottles). Add the cream, potatoes, and thyme; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- 4Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, tirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 5Add the whole fish fillets and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the clams and continue stirring until the fish has broken into chunks. Cook until the fish is cooked through and the clams are heated, about another 2 minutes.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with the reserved bacon and the remaining jalapeno.