Tuscan Tomato Basil Bisque
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 large
- 3 clove
- 4 c
- peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 c
- roasted garlic tomato paste
- 2 c
- chicken stock
- 2 1/2 c
- baked butternut squash, baked, peeled and cut up
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- tobasco sauce to taste
- 1 1/4 c
- red pepper, diced (this should be listed up by the onions and garlic, but i forgot it)
How to Make Tuscan Tomato Basil Bisque
- 1Bake squash upside down on cookie sheet. Cool.
- 2In large pot, saute onions, red pepper and garlic until onions and peppers are soft.
- 3Dip Tomatoes in boiling water; peel & core and cut up in chunks.
- 4Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, basil and thyme. (I couldn't find tomato paste with roasted garlic, so roasted some in the oven and added to the tomato paste)
- 5Peel and Cut cooled butternut squash in chunks and add to pot.
- 6Bring to a boil; then simmer for 35 minutes, stirring often.
- 7Puree in blender or food processor and return to pot. Splash in the Tobasco, salt and pepper and stir in the cream.
- 8FOR CANNING: Do not add the cream!
Process quarts for 30 minutes at 10 lb. in presssure cooker.
We used this recipe, multiplied by 10, and got 21 quarts. (plus some left over to sample!)
When serving, heat the soup first and then stir in cream before serving.