Tasty Potato Soup
- 1 lb
- bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 medium
- yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large
- carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 c
- celery, diced
- 4 large
- russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 medium
- red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 c
- 2 c
- chicken or vegetable stock
- coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 c
- heavy whipping cream
How to Make Tasty Potato Soup
- 1Heat a 6 to 8 quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- 2Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, hold bacon on side, in bacon fat add the onions,carrots and celery, cook onions until they become translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5-6 minutes. Add chicken stock and bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for a thicker, creamier texture. Add whipping cream and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 5Adjust thickness by adding stock or water. Soup should have a creamy consistency.
- 6Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
- 7NOTES: Soak diced potatoes in cold water until ready to use to keep them from turning brown.
Don't forget to scrape the bottom of the pan to get all those goodies at the bottom.