Tasty Potato Soup
1 lbbacon, roughly chopped
1 mediumyellow onion, peeled and diced
1 largecarrot, peeled and diced
3/4 ccelery, diced
4 largerusset potatoes, peeled and diced
4 mediumred potatoes, diced
2 cchicken or vegetable stock
·coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
4 cheavy whipping cream
How to Make Tasty Potato Soup
- Heat a 6 to 8 quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, hold bacon on side, in bacon fat add the onions,carrots and celery, cook onions until they become translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5-6 minutes. Add chicken stock and bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for a thicker, creamier texture. Add whipping cream and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Adjust thickness by adding stock or water. Soup should have a creamy consistency.
- Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
- NOTES: Soak diced potatoes in cold water until ready to use to keep them from turning brown.
Don't forget to scrape the bottom of the pan to get all those goodies at the bottom.