Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 1 medium
- eggplant, sliced
- garlic cloves, peeled
- extra virgin olive oil, (evoo)
- 1 medium
- yellow sweet onion, diced
- 2-14 oz
- cans swanson chicken broth
- 1-16 oz
- jar mezzetta roasted bell peppers, drained
- 1-28 oz
- can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 c
- buttermilk (or 1 cup skim milk & 4 tbls buttermilk powder)
- garnish: with a dollop of classico traditional basil & pesto sauce and parmesan cheese
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 1Pre-heat oven 425. Place oven rack low in oven. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with Pam. Peel and slice eggplant the short way into 1" slices. Place the eggplant on cookie sheet in single layer. Brush eggplant lightly with EVOO. Place garlic cloves off to one side of the cookie sheet. Roast for 20 minutes. Take out and set aside until ready to use. Once cooled cut the peel off the eggplant and add the eggplant and garlic to the soup.
- 2While eggplant and garlic are roasting, saute diced yellow onion and small amount of EVOO in large soup pot, stirring occasionally, until transparent and slightly carmalized.
- 3Add chicken broth to the onions in the soup pot, along with roasted eggplant and garlic, drained roasted red peppers, undrained diced tomatoes, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil, then down to simmer, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4Take off heat and add the buttermilk, stir. Cool soup long enough to be able to put in blender to cream the soup. Work in batches. When finished heat soup back up in soup pot.
- 5Serve soup with a dollop of Classico's Traditional Basil Pesto sauce on top along with fresh parmesan cheese (if you don't have the sauce fresh basil will do).