Potato Soup with Kale & Bacon1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 2 lb
- 3/4 lb
- bunch kale, about 1 pound
- garlic clove
- salt and pepper
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- bunch of chives, optional
- 5 tsp
- balsamic vinegar
How to Make Potato Soup with Kale & Bacon
- 1Peel potatoes and put in a pot with enough cold, salted water to cover.
- 2Cover and bring to a boil.
- 3Lower heat, uncover, and simmer until done, about 25 minutes.
- 4Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- 5Break up potatoes with a potato masher; they should be lumpy, not smooth.
- 6Cook the bacon until crisp.
- 7Drain and chop.
- 8Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat, reserving the extra fat.
- 9Stem and chop the kale.
- 10Mince the garlic.
- 11Cook half the kale and half the garlic in the 2 tablespoons bacon fat over medium heat until kale is wilted, about 1 minute.
- 12Season with salt and pepper and transfer to
- 13Repeat with remaining kale and garlic, using the reserved bacon fat as needed.
- 14Return all the kale to the frying pan and add the heavy cream.
- 15Simmer over low heat until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
- 16Mince the chives.
- 17Recipe can be made to this point several hours ahead.
- 18Cooking and Serving: Combine potatoes with about 4 cups of the reserved cooking liquid in a large pot.
- 19Add more cooking liquid or water if too thick.
- 20Add kale mixture to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- 21Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 22Pour into bowls and sprinkle with chives and bacon.