Potato & Sausage Soup
I usually serve it with my rosemary garlic bread.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- mild sausage, ground
- 3 lb
- potatoes, peeled and cut
- leeks, white and light green parts, chopped
- 1 tsp
- thyme, dried
- 1 tsp
- dried sage
- 4-6 tsp
- 16 oz
- low salt chicken broth
- 1-2 qt
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Potato & Sausage Soup
- 1In a frypan, cook sausage. Set aside when done.
- 2In a large stockpot, melt 4-6 teaspoons of butter.
- 3Add Leeks to pot and saute until soft.
- 4Add thyme and sage to leeks. Stir for 30-60 seconds. Turn temperature to low.
- 5Pour 2 cups of chicken broth into pot so herbs won't burn.
- 6Peel and cut potatoes into chunks and add to pot.
- 7Pour remaining chicken broth over potatoes until just covered. Use more (or less) chicken broth so that potatoes are just covered. Turn up heat to medium and cook until potatoes are cooked, about 20 minutes.
- 8Add Milk.
- 9Add sausage to soup. I prefer small pieces of ground sausage to I break it up with my hands when I add it to the soup. (this is messy)
- 10Salt and Pepper to Taste.
- 11Cook on low until cooked through and flavors are blended, about 30-60 minutes. Watch carefully so that it does not cook too fast and burn.
- 12Serve with Crusty Bread
- 13Notes: I sometimes sprinkle some garlic salt and/or creole spice in the soup. It depends what I have on hand. (I've made it in an RV with a small and less stocked kitchen and it comes out great with just the ingredients listed above)
- 14Note: Leftovers can be placed in a blender, add 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream and some cheddar cheese. Blend until smooth and then cook in a saucepan or microwave.