Loaded Potato Soup
How to Make Loaded Potato Soup
- In large soup pot, melt one stick of butter. Add finely diced onions, carrot, and garlic. Brown in pot until soft and translucent.
- Chop potatoes into small (about 1/2 inch) pieces and add to pot. Pour 4 cups milk into pot. Put on medium flame until soup beings to boil. Lower heat to simmer.
- Add package of bacon bits to the soup and stir.
- Continue to simmer until potatoes are soft when stabbed with a fork. At this point I used my immersion mixer. But a hand masher will do the job also. Mash some of the potatoes until mixture and potatoes are the consistency that you like.
- Add shredded cheese and heavy cream. Stir in to mix. Allow to heat through. Serve. You can add a dollup of sour cream, more shredded cheese and a sprinkling of bacon bits on top.
- This served my family of four - as well as having enough left over for a couple of bowls the next day AND a large portion left to freeze.