★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- onion, diced
- large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 c
- chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 c
- green onions, sliced
- 3/4 c
- shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- sour cream for garnish
How to Make Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 11. In a large stock pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain and set aside. Drain all but 2 T. of bacon grease from the pot. Cook the onions in the remaining bacon grease for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- 22. Add potatoes and chicken stock to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove a few scoops of potatoes. Place in a bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- 33. In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Slowly stir in to stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer. Stir mashed potatoes back into pot.
- 44. Add 1/2 c. shredded cheese, three-fourths of the bacon and half the sliced green onions to pot. Add pepper. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- 55. To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and top with some shredded cheese, bacon, green onions and optional sour cream.