Hungarian Cauliflower Soup
- ham bone
- water to cover
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 medium
- onions, chopped
- 4-5 large
- carrots, peeled and cubed
- celery ribs, diced
- bay leaf
- head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 qt
- 4 Tbsp
- flour or cornstarch mixed with some of the milk to make a slurry
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- paprika and fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
How to Make Hungarian Cauliflower Soup
- 1Put ham bone in a large Dutch oven and cover with water. Saute` onions, carrots and celery in olive oil. Add to ham bone and water along with a bay leaf. Simmer a couple of hours or until meat is falling off the bone.
- 2Remove ham bone from pot and allow to cool. Meanwhile add the cauliflower to broth and simmer until tender.
- 3Add the ham pieces back to broth. Make a slurry with milk and flour or cornstarch. Stir into simmering broth. Add milk and allow to thicken. Adjust seasonings.
- 4Garnish with paprika and fresh parsley.
If there isn't as much ham as you would like I buy a package of cubed ham and add just til it is just heated through as ham is already cooked.