1 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1 cfresh chopped onion
1 cchopped leeks
2 largegarlic cloves , minced
1 3/4 lbmushrooms , cleaned and sliced (use a medley: button, shiitake, portobello, cremini, etc.)
2 qtlow sodium beef stock
1 tspfresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
1 cevaporated milk
·sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1 ozchopped parsley (for garnish)
How to Make Diabetic Mushroom Bisque
- Lightly mist a 6-quart pot with cooking spray.
- Add olive oil and place over low heat.
- Add onion, leek, and garlic.
- Sauté until vegetables are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium-high.
- Add mushrooms and continue to sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in stock and thyme.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- In batches, puree in a food processor or blender.
- Return to pot and stir in evaporated milk.
- Season with salt (if using) and pepper.
- Heat through, but do not allow mixture to boil.
- Serve in small soup bowls.
- NOTE: MAKE DARN SURE YOU DON'T LET THIS PUPPY BOIL AFTER YOU'VE ADDED THE MILK!! I STICK A THERMOMETER IN MINE AND AS SOON AS IT HITS 170 I TURN OFF THE BURNER!