Delicious Potato Soup
Note: This is an indulgent food. Use at least 2% milk. But whole milk makes it fantastic and absolutely satisfying.
- potatoes, medium russet
- 4-6 slice
- 2 Tbsp
- large onion - finely chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic - chopped
- 1/3 c
- 4 c
- chicken broth
- 2 c
- whole milk
- salt and pepper
How to Make Delicious Potato Soup
- 1Peel, wash, and cut potatoes into 1 inch chunks. Place in large microwavable bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for approx. 10 minutes. They should be soft all the way through (test one by eating it ;)). But don't burn yourself taking the plastic off (like I frequently do)
- 2Chop bacon into small pieces and fry in large dutch oven till crisp. Remove bacon to bowl and leave grease. Add butter (2 Tbsp is a guide, it will depend on how much grease you get from your bacon. You want about 3-4 Tbsp total fat).
- 3Soften onion and garlic in fat for approx 5 minutes over med heat. Onions should be soft, garlic not burnt. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Add flour and stir. Cook, stirring, for about a minute. Raise heat to high and slowly add two cups of broth. Whisk constantly till thick and bubbling. Add remaining broth and milk and cook till thick and bubbly.
- 5Add bacon bits (reserving 2Tbsp for garnish if you wish) and all but about 1 cup of taters. Puree with hand blender till smooth. Chop remaining taters into bit sized pieces and add to pot.
- 6Green onions, cilantro, and bacon make fantastic toppings. Cheese could also be used. Serve with crackers or rolls.