Creamy Italian Cauliflower Soup
1 largecauliflower head
2 mediumonions, coarsley chopped
1/3 colive oil
2 - 3 boxchicken stock (depending on how thick you like it)
1 cwhite wine, dry
1 cparmesan cheese
1 cheavy cream, or whole milk to make a
1 ccheddar cheese, shredded
1 smalltub of marscapone cheese (optional)
1 Tbspthyme, dried (or more to taste)
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Creamy Italian Cauliflower Soup
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Cut up the cauliflower into 2-3-inch pieces. Discard the core. Chop the onions and arrange cauliflower and onion in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. (I use coarse sea salt)
- Roast in oven for 30 - 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch closely toward end so that cauli is starting to get brown and roasted, but remove before vegetables get charred. If you do have some charred smaller pieces, discard those as it will affect the taste.
- Let cool until warm enough to handle. With a food processor, emulsify 2/3 of the cauliflower and onion, adding just enough chicken stock to help it blend smoothly. Process until smooth. Add remaining 1/3 of vegetable mixture and lightly process so that soup retains some texture.
- Pour puree into a large soup pot and add white wine and remaining chicken stock and thyme. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 4-plus hours.
- 45 minutes prior to serving, add cream/milk and cheeses. Don't bring to boil after this step, just keep on low and then turn off the heat, letting cheeses melt. (I also put in some rind of a good Parmesan Cheese like Parmigiano Reggiano and let it melt down. This is optional though) You can reheat it later just fine. Add salt and pepper to taste.