Cream of Mirliton & Crawfish Soup
I got this recipe from my daughter-in-law's, Aunt Jill. She had fixed it as her contribution to Thanksgiving dinner.
Being a novice when it comes to cooking...I just knew I'd mess up this awesome dish. BUT...it's so simple that even I couldn't mess it up :)
When my friends tasted this, they said "Rena, I thought you said you couldn't cook. This is delicious!!"
- mirlitons (chayote squash)
- 1 stick
- butter or margarine
- 4 sprig(s)
- green onions, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- ribs celery, minced
- bay leaf
- 3-4 c
- swanson's chicken broth
- 1 lb
- crawfish tails, defrosted (can find at wal-mart in frozen seafood section)
- 1 c
- half and half
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- cajun seasoning (tony chachere) to taste
How to Make Cream of Mirliton & Crawfish Soup
- 2Slice into 1 inch cubes. Put into microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 12 to 15 minutes or until soft.
- 3Puree in blender or food processor
- 4Melt butter or margarine in a soup pot and saute all vegetables until soft. Add bay leaf and mirliton puree, cooking until most of the liquid evaporates.
- 5Add 3 to 4 cups chicken broth, season to taste with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere). Cover and cook on med heat for 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- 7***If you have plenty to feed, double the recipe.