Cream of Mirliton & Crawfish Soup
I got this recipe from my daughter-in-law's, Aunt Jill. She had fixed it as her contribution to Thanksgiving dinner.
Being a novice when it comes to cooking...I just knew I'd mess up this awesome dish. BUT...it's so simple that even I couldn't mess it up :)
When my friends tasted this, they said "Rena, I thought you said you couldn't cook. This is delicious!!"
3mirlitons (chayote squash)
1 stickbutter or margarine
4 sprig(s)green onions, chopped
2 clovegarlic, minced
2ribs celery, minced
3-4 cswanson's chicken broth
1 lbcrawfish tails, defrosted (can find at wal-mart in frozen seafood section)
1 chalf and half
·salt to taste
·white pepper to taste
·cajun seasoning (tony chachere) to taste
How to Make Cream of Mirliton & Crawfish Soup
- Slice into 1 inch cubes. Put into microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 12 to 15 minutes or until soft.
- Puree in blender or food processor
- Melt butter or margarine in a soup pot and saute all vegetables until soft. Add bay leaf and mirliton puree, cooking until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Add 3 to 4 cups chicken broth, season to taste with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere). Cover and cook on med heat for 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- ***If you have plenty to feed, double the recipe.