Cream of Broccoli Soup
1 bunchfresh broccoli, or, 1 regular sized bag frozen
6 Tbspall purpose flour
1 stickbutter or margarine
8 ozcream cheese, room temperature
3 cchicken broth (i use bouillon cubes or granules & add an extra cube or teaspoon to the water)
How to Make Cream of Broccoli Soup
- In a medium saucepan melt your stick of margarine or butter on medium heat.
- Add the flour and salt and stir, using a fork or whisk, till smooth.
- Add milk, slowly, and continue cooking until the mixture starts to thicken and bubble, stirring often. Continue to cook, (may need to reduce heat slightly to prevent splatters), for a few more minutes, again, stirring often.
- Add cream cheese to the milk mixture and stir until thoroughly melted and blended. Turn off burner, just leave the saucepan there, and proceed to the next step.
- Clean and cut your broccoli into bite size pieces. Using a large pot, mix together the broth, broccoli and onions. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes (can be covered with a lid, or not, your choice). Do NOT drain.
- Once broccoli is done cooking, add your milk/cream cheese mixture to the pot of broccoli, salt and pepper to taste (Personally, I find that this soup does not need any add'l salt)and....you're done! Enjoy!!