Chestnut Soup with Amaretto1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 lb
- chestnuts, fresh
- 1 small
- garlic clove
- celery stalks
- 4 Tbsp
- 5 c
- beef stock
- bouquet garni
- 3 Tbsp
- amaretto liqueur
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper
How to Make Chestnut Soup with Amaretto
- 1Make a slash in the rounded side of each chestnut and roast in a preheated 400 oven for 5 minutes.
- 2Peel off the shell and inner skin.
- 3Peel the carrots, parsnips, onion, and garlic.
- 4Finely chop all of the vegetables, including the scallions and celery.
- 5Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 6Add the vegetables and cook for five minutes, or until soft but not brown.
- 7Add the chestnuts, stock, and bouquet garni.
- 8Gently simmer the soup for 40 minutes, or until the chestnuts are very soft.
- 9Remove the bouquet garni and puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
- 10Return the soup to the saucepan, adding the amaretto, two-thirds of the cream, and salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg to taste; the soup should be very flavorful.
- 11If a sweeter flavor is desired, add a spoonful of brown sugar.
- 12To serve, ladle the chestnut soup into warmed bowls.
- 13Pour a little of the remaining cream into each bowl and marble it into the soup, stirring with a skewer.