Chesapeake Oyster Bisque1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 1 qt
- bay leaf
- celery, stalks
- 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- white pepper
- 1 pt
- 1/4 c
How to Make Chesapeake Oyster Bisque
- 1Slice onions and dice celery.
- 2Drain oysters and save liquid; oysters may be chopped or left whole as desired.
- 3Add water to oyster liquid to make 1 quart.
- 4In stock pot, combine bay leaf, one onion, and celery and simmer for about 1 hour uncovered.
- 5Remove from heat; allow to cool for about 1 hour, strain, and set aside.
- 6In butter, saute remaining onion and celery; cook for about 5 minutes or until pale in color.
- 7Add flour and stir well, but DO NOT BROWN.
- 8Add some strained oyster stock: stir well to prevent lumps from forming.
- 9Add remaining stock and heat until hot and thickened (about 10-15 minutes).
- 10Add oysters and cream; heat about 5 minutes more.
- 11Add sherry and ladle into serving bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.