Cashew Soup (gingered)
2 largecarrots, peeled, cut in 1-2 inch sections
3 largeribs celery, 1/2 inch slice
1/2 largeonion, rough chop
1 mediumrusset potato, peeled, 1-2 inch cubes
3 clovegarlic, crushed
12 inch piece of ginger, peeled, finely grated
3 Tbspolive oil
3-4shakes red pepper flakes
4 cchicken stock, regular salt
1/2 ccashews, salted
1 chalf and half
How to Make Cashew Soup (gingered)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil with the pepper flakes. When hot, add the carrots, celery, and onion. Saute/cook for 4-5 minutes. The onions will be clear.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the stock/broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover to cook for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind the cashews in a clean coffee grinder with the 2 Tbsp flour. Grind to a fine grind. Set aside.
- When the vegetables/soup are done/tender, remove from heat and cool until a safe temp to handle is reached. When cool enough, puree the soup with an immersion blender or a blender. Get the soup as smooth as possible.
- Return soup to the pot and add the cashews and half and half. Heat gently until hot. Do not boil.
- Serve in small bowls. A rice and sesame cracker is a nice compliment to this soup. Serves 8 (3/4 cup) servrings