★★★★★ 2 votes5
3-4 lbbroccoli crowns
1 largeonion, coarsely chopped
1 Tbspminced garlic (rounded)
1 1/2 tspcelery seed
1 Tbspkosher salt
2 tspground pepper
2 chalf & half
8-12 ozcheddar cheese - mix of sharp & mild
·olive oil to cover pan for sauteeing
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Wash, trim and coarsely chop the broccoli crowns and place in stock pot.
- Saute onion, garlic, celery seed, salt and pepper in pan with olive oil until transparent.
- Add onion mixture to stock pot and fill pan with water to cover. Simmer until broccoli is fork tender. Remove about 1 cup of broccoli and set aside.
- In SMALL* batches in blender or food processor, puree broccoli mixture along with stock. Place each completed batch into large bowl to hold until the everything has been pureed.
Toward the end of the batches, if the pureed mixture looks too watery, strain the remainder of the stock, saving the vegetables and enough water to cover the vegetables. Discard the remainder of the liquid (or if enough is left, freeze for another batch of soup, etc.).
- Return pureed mixture to stock pan. Cut up the remaining cup of broccoli that was set aside into smaller pieces and add to mixture in stock pan
- Add half & half and cheese. Heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese has melted. Do not boil.
- *NOTE: When processing hot foods in a blender or food processor, they will "explode". To be safe, make sure not to fill the container more than 1/3 full.