Broccoli and Swiss Cheese Soup
How to Make Broccoli and Swiss Cheese Soup
- Cut enough florets to measure 2 cups.
- Cut rest of broccoli into 1 inch pieces.
- Cook florets and broccoli pieces, separately, in lightly salted water until just tender.
- (Florets will be done first.)
- Immediately rinse in cold water.
- Set florets aside until serving time.
- In a large saucepan saute green onions in butter until tender; usually about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook one more minute, stirring with whisk.
- Remove from heat and stir in broth.
- Return to heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli pieces to broth and puree in blender in batches, until smooth.
- Just before serving, blend in cream and swiss cheese.
- Simmer gently until cheese melts.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Add reserved florets and heat through.