Spicy Seafood Chowder
This is a FANTASTIC, quick, easy, soup that tastes like you should have worked on it for hours but didn't! You'll quickly become the hero of the house if you have seafood lovers. Serve alone or in a bread bowl or with crackers. Please let me know how you liked it.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1stalk celery, chopped small
1/2onion (yellow), chopped small
1/4 tspdried thyme
1/4 tspdried marjoram
1 tspcayenne pepper (1/4 for less spice)
1 tspground black pepper (optional)
3 Tbspflour or bisquick baking mix (baking mix makes it thicker)
3 1/2 cmilk (i use 1 1/2 c half n half & 2 c. milk for richer soup, skim milk is fine)
2 can(s)cream of potato soup
1 1/2 lbraw peeled & de-veined small/medium shrimp (frozen is fine, just thaw in cold water first, thawing in warm water will make them mushy)
1 can(s)chopped clams (or 2 cans for more meat)
1 can(s)chicken of the sea or bumblebee canned lump crab meat (use 2 if you wish)
I HAVE MODIFIED THIS IN PLACES PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. THIS DOES NOT MAKE A LOT OF SOUP SO IF YOU WANT MORE THEN DOULBE IT, IF YOU DO DOUBLE IT ONLY USE A STICK AND A HALF OF BUTTER, YOU DON'T NEED 2 FULL STICKS.
How to Make Spicy Seafood Chowder
- You can use a high sided sautee pan or a pot either way. Melt butter in saucepan. Sautee chopped onions and celery in melted butter on low/med. heat until onions are done. Be careful not to burn onions. They should look fairly clear.
- In small bowl blend all dry ingredients with a whisk (peppers, thyme, marjoram and baking mix).
- If shrimp is frozen thaw in colander sitting inside large bowl in cold water. Warm water will make the mushy! They shouldn't take long to thaw.
- Open cans of crab and clams and drain then place in a bowl together.
- Once onions and celery are ready add milk and cream of potato soup. Cook on med. heat until piping hot. Stir occassionally so as not to burn milk.
- Once mixture is hot dip a small amount out and add to dry mixture and blend with whisk. Then add blended mixture to soup and whisk until blended. You may notice some little bits of mixture but they will go away on their own.
- Once blended into soup add crab, clams and shrimp. Once shrimp turns pink the soup is done. This will take only a moment or so. Remove from heat and dig in! ENJOY!