★★★★★ 1 vote5
6 Tbspbutter, cold
5 or 6 cpotatoes
8 cchicken broth
4 Tbspbutter, melted
1/4 call purpose flour
1/2 cevaporated milk
1/2 chalf and half
1 csour cream
How to Make Potato Soup
- cook bacon in broiler pan for about 10 minutes or until done to your liking. Allow to cool then break into small pieces. You can reserve the bacon drippings to use to saute your vegetables in place of the butter if you like, it will add more bacon flavor to your soup.
- wash and chop potatoes. I used a mixture of Yukon Gold and Red potatoes. One is firm, one is soft so it will give two different textures to your soup.
- chop onions, press garlic in a garlic press. If you don't have a garlic press you can chop the garlic as well.
- melt butter in large pan, add onions and garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes, add in potatoes and stir to coat with all of that yummy butter flavor
- Cover potatoes with chicken broth. If you don't have broth you can use 1 teaspoon of chicken granules to 1 cup of water.
- Bring to boil,then cover and lower heat to medium for 20 minutes. Add bacon to the pan.
- melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small sauce pan, whisk in flour until it forms a thick paste. Add milks and stir constantly for about 2 minutes, make sure you don't have any lumps in your thickener.
- turn potatoes down to low, stir in thickener and whisk with wire whisk for a good minute to make sure all of the lumps are smoothed out and thickener has a chance to mix with potato water.
- cook for 10 minutes with the pan covered. remove from heat, stir in sour cream. Your soup is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped green onions and shredded cheese as desired.