Parsnip Chowder with Squash1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 lbbutternut squash or sweet potatoes
1medium onion, finely chopped
2stalks celery, finely chopped
5 cchicken stock
·bouquet garni of bay leaf, thyme, parsley, 1 cinnamon stick
1 cheavy cream
·white pepper, freshly ground
·freshly grated nutmeg
3 Tbspchives, fresh/chopped
How to Make Parsnip Chowder with Squash
- Peel the parsnips and squash (or sweet potatoes) and cut each into 1/4 inch dice.
- Cut the bacon into 1/4-inch strips and render it in a large saucepan.
- When the bacon pieces are lightly browned, transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to dry.
- Discard all but 3 tablespoons af the rendered fat.
- Add the onion and celery to the pan and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute to make a roux.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil: the mixture will thicken slightly.
- Add the bouquet garni, cinnamon stick, parsnips and squash.
- Simmer the chowder for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender but not soft.
- Stir in the cream, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg.
- Just before serving, remove the bouquet garni and cinnamon stick.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls and sprinkle each with chopped chives and nutmeg.