Microwave Baked Potato Chowder
- large baking potatoes
- 3 1/2 c
- milk, whole or 2% is best devided
- 4 oz
- cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp
- green onions with tops chopped
- 4 oz
- sharp white or yellow chedder cheese, grated
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- broccoli florets steamed and chopped (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- bacon, cooked and cut into pieces (optional)
How to Make Microwave Baked Potato Chowder
- 1Slice potatoes in half lengthwise; place in large MICROWAVE SAFE baking dish. Pour 1/2 cup of the milk over potatoes. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 11 minutes. Remove baking dish from microwave. Move center potatoes to ends of baker and outer potatoes to center. Cover; microwave on HIGH 8-11 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Remove from microwave. Coarsely mash potatoes, set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, whisk cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add remaining 3 cups milk, whisking until smooth. Add cream cheese mixture and butter to baking dish. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 3-5 minutes or until mixture is hot.
- 3Slice green onions. Carefully remove baking dish from microwave. Grate cheddar cheese over chowder using Rotary Grater; add green onions, salt and black pepper and mix until cheese is melted. Serve with toppings, if desired.