- 1 small
- ham shank or butt that will fit in a slo cooker
- 1-2 c
- 1-2 c.water,depending on how big your cooker is,as liquid will increase from the ham ,making a broth
- 2(big) pkg
- frozen broccoli (one can be 'cuts' and florets and the other just florets)
- 2 pt
- half n half or unwhipped whipping cream
- 2 pkg
- mild cheddar shredded cheese
- 1 stick
- butter, cold
- 1 tsp
- celery seed
- 1 Tbsp
- minced onion
- salt n pepper to taste
How to Make Low Carb Ham Flavored Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- 1(1).Select a 3-5 lb. shank or butt ham or ham roast. Put in slo cooker w/1-2 cups water,allowing enough room in the cooker for juices and ham 'broth' to cook down in pot.(Don't have the water come up more than 1/2 way up sides of cooker when ham is in it).Cook on Hi 3-4 hrs. and if still not done,another hr. or two on low.When cooked ,remove from the accumulated ham broth,and,can let sit to slice later .(Adjust cook time according to YOUR size of ham piece).
- 2(2).Pour the ham broth into big deep cooking pot for the stove.(I used a big dutch oven type of pot).
Bring to a low boil and taste to see if more water needed to dilute the taste of the ham broth,but,you want a nice ham taste to it,as cream is going to further dilute it.Now,add one big bag of broccoli cuts and simmer until tender,but,not mushy!Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and put aside.Now,add a big bag of broccoli florets and simmer til tender.
- 3(3).When the broccloi florets are just tender,stir well,and,pulse the cooled off cooked broccoli cuts that you have set aside in a food processor or blender til pureed.Add the pureed blend of broccoli to the pot with the broccoli florets already in it.
- 4(4).Now,add 2 pints of half and half or whipping cream.Slowly stir and simmer,adding 2 bags of mild shredded cheddar cheese,1 stick butter, and stir until melted .Add the minced onion and celery seed and salt n pepper to taste! Serve!