Hearty Corn Chowder
- red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and diced, keep skin on
- red yams, peeled and diced
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- medium carrots, thick shredded or small dice
- stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 c
- can of chicken broth
- clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- chicken soup base, paste
- 1/2 tsp
- pepper, poultry seasoning and salt
- cans of canned corn -or- 16 oz. pkg frozen yellow corn
- cans of cream style corn
- 2 c
- 1/2 & 1/2
- 2 c
- chopped cooked ham -or- shredded cooked chicken breast
- mrs dash, salt & pepper to taste
- butter and flour, see below
How to Make Hearty Corn Chowder
- 1Saute the onion, celery and garlic in the butter until clear. Add water & broth. Add potatoes, carrots and yams.
- 2Simmer 15-20 minutes. You may add more broth and soup base for added flavor. Add all ingredients and let cook through until potatoes are cooked and the soup is hot.
- 3If the soup is too thin, take 3 tbsp. of sotened butter and two tbsp. of flour. Make a paste and add to the soup mixtures, stirring as adding. It will thicken.
- 4We like it thick so oftentimes I add frozen mixed vegetables as well, maybe 1 cup. You may salt and pepper to taste. I add Mrs. Dash occasionally to add more flavor as needed. Soup is not a science, a lot of "dump and pour, little of this and that" methods. Add seasonings and thickeners as you wish.
- 5The red skins and red yams add lovely color, flavor and body to the soup. Serve with hot corn bread and a salad.