Heartland Corn Chowder1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 1.5 lb
- smoked ham bones
- medium onions, peeled and quartered
- medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- celery ribs, quartered
- green bell pepper, chopped
- bay leaves
- 2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 qt
- 2 c
- 4 c
- corn kernels, fresh
- 8 slice
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
How to Make Heartland Corn Chowder
- 1Place ham bones, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, green pepper, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper in the water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 2Cook at a slow boil for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- 3Strain the broth and discard the bay leaves and bones, reserving the ham and vegetables.
- 4Skim off and discard fat from the broth.
- 5Puree the cooked vegetables and ham in a food processor until smooth.
- 6Bring the broth to a boil again and add the pureed vegetables, milk and corn.
- 7Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- 8Serve, sprinkled with bacon.