Corn and Lobster Chowder with Vermont Cheddar Cheese Twists
Paired with the Vermont Cheddar Cheese Twists, this makes an utterly scrumptious impressive meal!
I found both of these recipes years ago in an old battered Bon Apppetit magazine that was laying around in the doctors waiting room.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- fresh cooked lobster meat or 2- 10 oz cans of frozen lobster meat cut into bite size pieces
- 8 c
- frozen yellow corn thawed
- 3 c
- chicken broth, low salt
- 8 slice
- bacon, uncooked
- 2 c
- chopped onion
- 3/4 c
- peeled and diced carrots
- 2/3 c
- diced celery
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 3 c
- clam juice-bottled
- 1-1/2 c
- whipping cream
- 6 Tbsp
- sour cream
- 1/4 stick
- 3 Tbsp
- chopped chives
- sheet of frozen puff pastry (half of a 17 oz pkg) thawed
- 1 3/4 c
- fresh grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 tsp
- thyme, dried
- 3/4 tsp
- sage, dried
- 1/2 tsp
- coarse ground black pepper
CORN & LOBSTER CHOWDER
VERMONT CHEDDAR CHEESE TWISTS
How to Make Corn and Lobster Chowder with Vermont Cheddar Cheese Twists
- 1For the Chowder: Pick through lobster meat discarding any shells or odd pieces. Tear into bite size pieces, place in bowl and set aside
- 2Puree 4 cups of corn with 1- 1/4 cups of the chicken broth in food processor until almost smooth.
- 3Saute bacon until crisp, transfere to paper towels and crumble when cooled.
- 4Pour off and discard drippings in pan SAVING 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Saute onions in drippings for 5 min until golden. Add in the 4 cups of corn sauteing for 3 minutes, then add in the carrots, celery and cayenne and continue to cook until veggies are crisp tender about 5 more minutes.
- 5Add clam juice and the remainder of the chicken broth to the veggie mix and simmer for 10 minutes
- 6Stir in corn puree and whipping cream...simmer for 5 minutes...season with salt and pepper.
- 7Remove soup from heat and stir in sour cream.
- 8Melt the 2 tbs butter in a saucepan, toss in lobster meat and saute until the meat is just heated through.
- 9Ladle soup into bowls, garnish each bowl with lobster chunks, crumbled bacon pieces and fresh chopped chives
- 10Serve chowder with Vermont Cheddar Cheese Twists...recipe to follow
To reheat leftovers...bring soup to room temperature and simmer very gently until heated through.
- 11For the Cheddar Twists:
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl except the puff pastry
- 12Roll puff pastry to a 18x10 rectangle ( dough will be real thin) Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese evenly over half the pastry, fold plain dough half over the cheese half..roll out dough again to 18x10 size, sprinkle half the dough with another 3rd of the cheese and roll out one more time repeating the folding technique and sprinkling with the remainder of cheese ....roll out for the last time to 18x10 or as close as you can reasonalbly get
- 13Transfer to unlined baking sheet and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- 14Pre Heat oven to 425 degree. Position oven racks in upper third and lower third positions of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 15Cut pastry crosswise in half, forming two 10x9 rectangles.Trim and discard uneven edges of pastry.
- 16Cut each rectangle crosswise into 1/2 inch wide strips. Twist each strip a few times and lay the twist on the parchement spacing them a little less than an inch apart...bake for a total of 10 minutes, rotating baking pans halfway through baking. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store any leftovers tightly wrapped in foil at room temperature.