Corn and Lobster Chowder with Vermont Cheddar Cheese Twists
Paired with the Vermont Cheddar Cheese Twists, this makes an utterly scrumptious impressive meal!
I found both of these recipes years ago in an old battered Bon Apppetit magazine that was laying around in the doctors waiting room.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
CORN & LOBSTER CHOWDER
1 lbfresh cooked lobster meat or 2- 10 oz cans of frozen lobster meat cut into bite size pieces
8 cfrozen yellow corn thawed
3 cchicken broth, low salt
8 slicebacon, uncooked
2 cchopped onion
3/4 cpeeled and diced carrots
2/3 cdiced celery
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
3 cclam juice-bottled
1-1/2 cwhipping cream
6 Tbspsour cream
3 Tbspchopped chives
VERMONT CHEDDAR CHEESE TWISTS
1sheet of frozen puff pastry (half of a 17 oz pkg) thawed
1 3/4 cfresh grated sharp white cheddar cheese
3/4 tspthyme, dried
3/4 tspsage, dried
1/2 tspcoarse ground black pepper
How to Make Corn and Lobster Chowder with Vermont Cheddar Cheese Twists
- For the Chowder: Pick through lobster meat discarding any shells or odd pieces. Tear into bite size pieces, place in bowl and set aside
- Puree 4 cups of corn with 1- 1/4 cups of the chicken broth in food processor until almost smooth.
- Saute bacon until crisp, transfere to paper towels and crumble when cooled.
- Pour off and discard drippings in pan SAVING 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Saute onions in drippings for 5 min until golden. Add in the 4 cups of corn sauteing for 3 minutes, then add in the carrots, celery and cayenne and continue to cook until veggies are crisp tender about 5 more minutes.
- Add clam juice and the remainder of the chicken broth to the veggie mix and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in corn puree and whipping cream...simmer for 5 minutes...season with salt and pepper.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Melt the 2 tbs butter in a saucepan, toss in lobster meat and saute until the meat is just heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls, garnish each bowl with lobster chunks, crumbled bacon pieces and fresh chopped chives
- Serve chowder with Vermont Cheddar Cheese Twists...recipe to follow
To reheat leftovers...bring soup to room temperature and simmer very gently until heated through.
- For the Cheddar Twists:
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl except the puff pastry
- Roll puff pastry to a 18x10 rectangle ( dough will be real thin) Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese evenly over half the pastry, fold plain dough half over the cheese half..roll out dough again to 18x10 size, sprinkle half the dough with another 3rd of the cheese and roll out one more time repeating the folding technique and sprinkling with the remainder of cheese ....roll out for the last time to 18x10 or as close as you can reasonalbly get
- Transfer to unlined baking sheet and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pre Heat oven to 425 degree. Position oven racks in upper third and lower third positions of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut pastry crosswise in half, forming two 10x9 rectangles.Trim and discard uneven edges of pastry.
- Cut each rectangle crosswise into 1/2 inch wide strips. Twist each strip a few times and lay the twist on the parchement spacing them a little less than an inch apart...bake for a total of 10 minutes, rotating baking pans halfway through baking. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store any leftovers tightly wrapped in foil at room temperature.