I made quite a few changes to the original recipe and the family raved!
2 lbbroccoli, fresh
4 cchicken broth
4 chalf and half
1 tspsalt, optional
1/4 tspwhite pepper
1 tsptarragon, crushed
a few pinchgarlic
1-2 ccooked chicken (opt)
·crumbled bacon (opt)
·shredded cheese (opt)
How to Make Broccoli/Mushroom Chowder
- Clean and cut broccoli into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Steam in 1/2 cup water until tender/crisp (can also microwave them for 3 to 4 minutes) do not drain; Set aside.
- Clean and slice mushrooms.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt butter; saute onions and mushrooms for a minute or two; add flour to make a roux.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 4 minutes; do not let brown.
- Stir in chicken broth; bring just to a boil.
- Turn heat to low; add broccoli, chicken, half-and-half and seasonings. You can use an immersion blender at this point to incorporate ingredients a bit.
- Heat through but do not boil. Test for seasonings. Garnish with crumbled bacon and cheese if desired.