★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 5 large
- baking potatoes
- 1 lb
- diced ham
- 2 clove
- 1/2 small
- sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb
- shredded cheddar
- 1 can(s)
- cream corn
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste (we prefer sea salt)
How to Make Baked Potato Ham Chowder
- 1Preheat oven to 400. Rub potatoes with the garlic cloves and butter. Wrap in foil and bake till tender.
- 2While potatoes are baking chop the onion. Mix enough milk into the sour cream to make it runny.
- 3When potatoes are done, let cool a bit. I like to peel the potatoes and then finely chop the skins and add it back into the chowder.
Mix potatoes like you would for mashed potatoes. Then add more milk (and water if you want a lower fat and thinner chowder.) Do this in a saucepan on low heat to keep the ingredients warm. (It's best to mix it a tad thinner then you want the finished dish because the heating and cream corn will thicken it up a tad.) Add salt and pepper to taste. (We like extra fresh cracked black pepper in ours.)
- 4When you get the chowder to the desired thickness add in the cream corn and diced ham. Let heat back up before adding in the cheese.