The Seymour Special Chili Con Carne
Our preferred way of serving it is with some fresh cornbread or Fritos and sharp cheddar cheese.
We usually double the recipe to make 12-16 servings so we have LOTS of leftovers. It goes fast!
- 2 medium
- onions, finely chopped
- 1 c
- green and red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 6 clove
- garlic, pressed
- 4 Tbsp
- chili powder
- 2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 3 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 2 lb
- cubed lean stew meat or ground beef
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 4 c
- diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 can(s)
- red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can(s)
- tomato sauce, large
How to Make The Seymour Special Chili Con Carne
- 1Heat a tablespoon of oil on medium heat in a 4-5 quart pot. Saute onions until clear; add peppers and garlic, saute until limp.
- 2Add chili powder (you can add more or less to taste-this is a fairly mild chili), cumin, oregano, stew meat or ground beef, salt, and pepper.
- 3Cook slowly, stirring often until meat is brown and broken apart.
- 4Add tomatoes and kidney beans, including the liquid from the cans. Stir well to combine ingredients.
- 5Simmer chili for at least 1 hour, preferably 2-3. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
Stir often so as to not burn.
- 6NOTE: This chili can also easily be made in a crock pot. After step 3, transfer to a 4-5 quart crock pot and add the tomatoes and kidney beans. Simmer for 1-3 hours on high or 3-6 on low heat.