1 1/2 lblean ground beef
1 can(s)diced tomatoes- do not drain any veggies
1 can(s)tomatoes and chiles-mild or regular
1 can(s)pinto beans
1 can(s)yellow hominy (may use white instead) whole kernel corn can be substituted
1 pkgtaco seasoning mix
1 pkgdry ranch dip
1chopped onion (optional)
1 bag(s)fritos or tortilla chips
1 pkgshredded cheese
·sour cream (optional)
·chopped green onions (optional)
How to Make TACO SOUP
- Brown ground beef (and onions if desired) in large dutch oven over med. heat until no longer pink.
- Turn down heat to low, add dry packets and stir to combine.
- Add all of the cans of vegetables (Do Not Drain) to meat mixture and stir to combine, saving one empty tomato can. Check to see if more liquid is needed!
- Use the saved tomato can to add water (1/2 can to start) until the soup had the desired amount of liquid. This also creates a milder flavored soup and is strictly "to taste".
- Let simmer, covered, on low heat for approx. 30 min.
Stir at least twice, more if the soup is thick and has less liquid.
- To Serve: Add grated cheese and crushed fritos to individual bowls and ladle soup on top. My Husband likes his cheese on the bottom and chips on the top, there is no wrong way!
We usually stop at cheese and fritos but sour cream and chopped green onions are also great additions.