This is the first dutch oven recipe that my husband and I tried when we camped in Baxter State Park on Daicy Pond a few years ago. We loved it and have made it many times since.
The amount of coals depends on the weather, so if it's a bit chilly outside, then you might need more coals and vice-versa.
- 2 lb
- ground beef
- 1 medium
- onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- 15 ounce can of chili beans
- 1/2 tsp
- chili powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 6 ounce packages of cornbread mix
How to Make Guadalupe Chili
- 1Brown beef, onion and butter in the open dutch oven.
- 2Add beans, chili powder, salt and sauce and cook for 15 minutes in covered oven.
- 3Mix the cornbread as directed on the package, and add to top of meat and beans. Place lid on oven.
- 4Cook for 20-30 minutes until cornbread is done.
- 5For this recipe we use the large (12-14 inch) dutch oven. And, we might put about 15 coals underneath, and about 10-12 on top. Just keep checking periodically to make sure the chili does not burn