Duey's Corner Tap -- Chili Knock Off
Every now and again I get a hankering for just such fare. Such was the case a couple of days ago. After I enjoyed a bowl I set about to replicate it.
It is quite different from my usual preparation of chili. It consists principally of a highly chili seasoned tomato base and fine ground hamburger, with a very sparse amount of dark red kidney beans, thin sliced celery and thin sliced canned mushrooms.
This recipe very closely approximates that bowl of goodness served at Duey's.
2 lbground beef
1 can(s)tomato juice 46 oz.
1 can(s)tomato paste 15 oz.
1 can(s)thinly sliced mushrooms 7 oz.
1 can(s)dark red kidney beans 15 oz.
2stalks celery thinly sliced
1pat butter for celery
1 jar(s)chili powder 2.5 oz.
1 Tbspsalt, half to ground beef half to crock pot
1 tspground black pepper added to ground beef
1 can(s)water 15 oz.
How to Make Duey's Corner Tap -- Chili Knock Off
- In large fry pan brown and cook ground beef. As it cooks I mash it fine with a wire potato masher. You want it quite fine. Add a teaspoon of salt and a dash of black pepper.
- to the crock pot add the tomato juice, tomato paste, the canned mushrooms and canned kidney beans. Slice the two celery stalks thinly. In a small bowl nuke the sliced celery with a pat of butter for two minutes, then add to crock pot.
- When ground beef is cooked and finely minced add it to crock pot. Place a small amount of water in fry pan and scrape pan clean and add to crock pot. Most of pan drippings is juice and not fat so I add all drippings to the crock pot. Add the small jar of chili powder, and stir all well.
- Cook on high until bubbly, then set crock pot to low or keep warm, for another two or three hours. Stir occasionally. Serve with crackers or bread. As I noted this chili is sparse in kidney beans, sliced mushrooms and sliced celery, but still a very tasty bowl of chili. hope you enjoy.
- Duey's offers their chili year round, and are also noted for their Friday Nite Whole Fried Cat Fish Dinners, where they consistently pack in the crowds.
- Note: All of the canned products including the chili powder were the "Our Family" brand available at the local grocers. Use what brands you find available.