Dixie Drive Chili
2 lbground chuck
2 mediumvidalia onions or other sweet onions finely chopped
2 Tbspolive oil
2 largedried pasilla chiles
1 mediumjalapeño, seeded
1 can(s)petite diced tomatoes
2 can(s)tomato sauce
1 can(s)louisiana creamy red beans, for testing purposes blues brand
·salt to taste
·garnish - shredded mexican cheese
How to Make Dixie Drive Chili
- Brown meat in Dutch oven over medium -high heat. Drain the grease.
- While meat is browning, in cast iron skillet heat oil. Add onions and saute until caramelized.
- Add onions to meat mixture.
- Boil 2 cups of water over high heat. Add pasilla peppers and let seep for 10 minutes. Remove peppers and let cool.
- Break pasilla peppers in small pieces and place in blnder. Add seeded and chopped jalapeno. Add 1 cup boiling water from peppers. Puree in blender. Add to Dutch oven stirring well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans stirring well.
- Add salt to taste.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and serve with shredded Mexican cheese. Serve hot sauce on the side for those that like it spicy.