Cowboy Firecracker Chili
- 2 lb
- lean ground beef
- 24 oz
- dried pinto beans
- 1 1/2
- large onions, chopped
- 1 1/2
- large green pepper, chopped
- 2 can(s)
- mild original rotel tomatoes
- 1 can(s)
- diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 46 ounce can of tomato juice
- 1 small
- can of tomato paste, optional use if you like it thicker
- 2 tsp
- medium hot chili powder (i use penzy's)
- 1 tsp
- dried ground cumin
- 3 i/2 tsp
- regular chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- few dashes of tabassco to your taste
- slices of salt pork
How to Make Cowboy Firecracker Chili
- 1Pinto Beans cooked the quick cook method - wash and drain, place in a soup pot covered with water and bring to a boil. Boil gently for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover for 1 hour. Return to the burner and add water if needed. Add the salt pork and simmer until tender. When they are done, remove the bacon and discard or have a bite.
- 2Brown the ground beef with the onions and peppers, drain if necessary.
- 3Add the mixture to the pinto beans once they are cooked.
- 4Add all of the tomato products, spices and garlic.
- 5Simmer for a couple of hours so that the flavors are incorporated together.
- 6Note: If you want to reduce the heat, replace the rotel tomatoes with regular tomatoes. Do not add the medium hot chili powder. If it does not have enough heat, add more chili powder to taste.
If you like it thicker, add a can of tomato paste.
Garnish with shreddded cheddar, sour cream and chopped scallions if desired.
This is super easy and the flavor can be changed easily. Use my basic recipe and tweak it until it becomes yours. I know you will love it.