Chili Rellanos (Hatch Green Chili)
- 8 large
- green chiles, whole (roasted and peeled, seeds removed, leave stem on)
- 4 large
- eggs, separated
- 2 Tbsp
- self-rising flour
- 2 Tbsp
- self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/4 c
- cooking oil (hot)
- jack, cheddar, or mexican melting cheese
WHOLE GREEN CHILI
CHEESE FOR STUFFING CHILI'S
How to Make Chili Rellanos (Hatch Green Chili)
- 1WHOLE ROASTED AND PEELED GREEN CHILIES CHEESE CUT INTO LONG THIN STRIPS THAT WILL FIT INTO THE CHILIES. USE JACK, CHEDDAR, OR MEXICAN MELTING CHEESE
- 2Beat the egg whites until stiff in a medium mixing bowl. Beat the yolks in a separate bowl. Fold the yolks, flour and cornmeal into the whites.
- 3Heat about 2 inches of oil in a wide high sided skillet to about 375 F. Cut a slit in the chilies and fill with cheese. Dip each chili into the egg white batter and carefully place in the hot oil. Fry a few at a time, do not crowd the pan. Cook until golden brown, turning once or twice, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately. The batter can be doubled. This amount will coat about 8 chilies.
- 4Mix for another minute
- 5If you’re not up for frying or need a great pot luck casserole, use the same batter over diced chili, cheese, and optional meat and throw it in the oven for half and hour. With a freezer full Hatch chili, you can make it anytime.
- 6Get 1/4 cup vegetable oil hot in a Dutch Oven
Stuff poblano with strip of cheese
Dredge stuffed chili in flour then batter
Coat evenly, keep poblano closed
Cook in hot oil, turning until browned
Place on sheet pan in warm oven until all 8 are done
- 7You can serve them as is or you can smother them with a green chili sauce, or tomatillo sauce, or green chili enchilada sauce works too, some people like red sauce...or queso (cheese sauce) is good too.