Chili Dog Soup
A fast and easy full entree dish.
I tried to be a bit generous in my times for this as I am not sure how much time it might take someone who does not have the ingredients ready cut as I tend to do. PLEASE let me know if these times are consistent or need to be adjusted!
- 1 can(s)
- 3 - 4
- hot dogs, cut into slices
- 1 medium
- sweet onion
- each green and red pepper (make sure you use the female ones for cooking)
- 1 - 2 c
- favorite flavor of shredded cheese (mozzarella works great with kids!)
- 1 pkg
- crackers of your choice, crushed to desired chunkiness
- 2 c
- (optional) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 pkg
- (optional) pasta (spinach pasta is great when using the mixed veggie option)
- 4 c
- (optional) cooked rice (brown works excellent with this)
How to Make Chili Dog Soup
- 1If serving over pasta or rice, prepare that item as per standard directions, place onto individual plates or on large serving platter, spread out almost to the edges.
- 2Melt the butter until just turning brown, cook peppers and onions to desired consistency (searing them (cooking them fast on highest setting) to where the outside is lightly brown and yet they retain some of the crisp is a wonderful choice, in my opinion)
- 3Add chili, hot dogs, onions, peppers (and vegetables if chosen) to a medium sized pan and heat on medium until it just starts to bubble.
- 4Remove from heat, add to a bowl or serve on top of rice or pasta and sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the top. Cover with a plate or lid for a few moments to melt cheese, or put into a microwave for about 15 - 20 seconds to melt.
- 5Cover with crushed crackers for an extra flair and body
(Saltines, Ritz or other varieties. I like to use the vegetable flavored ones to enhance the flavor when I add mixed vegetables to this)