CHILI CON CARNE from Caroline's Kitchen
2 lblean ground beef
2 largesweet onions, chopped
2 cgreen bell peppers, chopped (2-4 depending on size)
1 1/2 cwater
1 1/2 cheinz ketchup
1 tspcumin seeds ground
1 Tbspchili powder (or to taste, i use 2 tbls for spicey chili)
1 tsporegano, dried
1 tspsalt (or to taste)
1/2 tsppepper (or to taste)
2 can(s)heinz diced tomatoes 28 oz. size cans
2 can(s)hanover red kidney beans 40 oz. size cans (drain, but save liquid)
2 can(s)hanover black beans 15 oz size, drained and rinsed (do not save this liquid)
How to Make CHILI CON CARNE from Caroline's Kitchen
- Crumble ground beef and lightly brown in a very large soup pot.
- Add water, chopped onion and chopped bell peppers cover and simmer about 15 minutes until veggies are softened.
- Add ketchup and all seasonings, stir, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes
- Add tomatoes, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- At this point, I like to taste and adjust any seasonings. If you add any more seasonings, you need to simmer for another 20 minutes.You can also add some of the bean liquid or use plain water if mixture is too thick for you at this point. I usually don't find this necessary.
- Add all beans, cover and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve hot.
- OPTIONS: Top with shreadded cheddar cheese, or your choice of cheese. and serve with saltine crackers or a grilled cheese sandwich.
I like to make a stromboli to serve with this dish.