Chili Con Carne (Chili)
2 lbsirloin steak
1/4 tspcoarsely ground black pepper
4 Tbspmasa harina
2 tspdehydrated onion
3 Tbspred chili powder
1 1/2 tspgarlic powder
1 1/2 tspcumin powder
1 tspmexican oregano
1 Tbspvegetable oil (for browning the sirloin)
How to Make Chili Con Carne (Chili)
- Cut sirloin into 1" cubes. Remove & discard fat (you do not want chewy bits of fat in your chili). For cutting ease: freeze the meat for apporximately 30 minutes prior to cutting.
- While meat is in freezer. In a 2 quart cooking pot; heat water to a simmer.
- In a small bowl combine the following ingredients; dehydrated onion, red chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and mexican oregano.
- Season the cubed meat with the salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetable oil to a hot Dutch Oven.
- Brown the seasoned meat until no longer pink in the Dutch Oven. Do not drain the meat.
- Add the masa harina to the browning meat and continue browning 2-3 additional minutes.
- Stir in the dry ingredients from step 3.
- Add the simmering water to the seasoned meat in the Dutch Oven. Stir well.
- Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Once you have it to a boil; lower the heat, cover and simmer. Stirring occassionally.
- Basically this chili will be ready to eat in about 4 hours. But for the best results; start this chili the evening before and let it cook low and slow to marry all of these beautiful fragrent spices.
- Top your steaming hot bowl of chili with crumbled Queso Fresco or grated Monterry Jack cheese. Do not forget the cornbread!