8new mexico chiles-dried
3 cboiling water
4 lbboneless sirloin roast cut into 3 hunks
1 tspdried oregano
1 1/2 tspground cumin
1 largeonion, chopped
6 clovegarlic, minced
2 cbeef broth
1/2 cchopped cilantro
How to Make Chili Colorado
- Take all the chilies, remove stems and seeds.
- Snip with sissors and place in a medium glass bowl.
- Cover chilies with boiling water and then cover bowl with a weighted plate. (fill a canning jar with hot water and place on top of plate)
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile brown bacon in a large skillet.
- When browned remove bacon and add sirloin steak to the skillet-brown in bacon fat on all sides.
- Add the beef and bacon to a large crock pot.
- Place the chiles and water in a food processor and whirl to very smooth.
- Add the puree to the crock pot along with all the remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- You also want to add around 1/4 cup of the bacon fat.
- Turn your crock pot up to high, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn down to low and cook for 5 1/2 hours.
- At this point you can add the cilantro or serve at the table. If you add it now continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Ladle meat into bowls-don't worry, it will fall apart as you do this and add plenty of "juice".
- Serve with warm corn tortillas & queso fresco or cheesy beer muffins.