BLT Soup (Bacon, Leek, Tomato Soup).
Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
If you vant to make it more filling add one tin of cooked kidney beans with the spices.
- 1 pt
- stock strong -chicken or vegetable (from cubes is fine)
- 1 can(s)
- plum tomato's, peeled and crushed+ 1/2 the juice
- 2-3 Tbsp
- tomato puree
- 1/4 lb
- bacon, fine chopped (1/4 inch) fried to just crispy
- 1 c
- leek, finely sliced, 1/8 inch wide strips or finer
- 1-2 clove
- garlic, finely chopped or crushed.
- 1/4 c
- lemon juice fresh + zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp
- chipotle paste
- 1-2 Tbsp
- bacon drippings
- 1 bunch
- oregano, fresh, finely chopped (leave a few leaves for garnish)
- 1 tsp
- celery salt or similar
- 1 c
- creme fresh or sour creme
- 1 tsp
- granulated paprika
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
How to Make BLT Soup (Bacon, Leek, Tomato Soup).
- 1Set stock to simmer in pot and heat a skillet to medium heat.
- 2Chop and slice all ingredients add bacon to skillet, fry slowly until just crisp. Remove and place aside.
- 3Brown leeks and garlic until golden in the drippings. Save with the bacon and keep the drippings.
- 4Add all main ingredients and lemon juice to stock. let simmer for 25-45 minutes. At this point yo can tell how much spices you will need and but beware of the Chipotle and Black pepper, it may get too hot so don't over do it.
- 5If it isn't "Bacony" enough add some of the dripping but no more than it just give a glossy sheen to the whole surface, but not too much, that will just make it greasy.
Leave to simmer 10 more minutes.
- 6Chop the Oregano as fine as you can be bothered to and add to pot. Turn heat off under the pot, leave for five minutes.
- 7Ladle into bowls, add Creme-Fresh Finish with the last whole Oregano leaves along with the lemon zest on top and serve.