Black Bean Molé Soup
You can adjust the heat level by the amount of chile powder you add.
If you've never had molé, you may think the addition of the cocoa powder is strange, but it adds a richness and depth to the flavor. And chocolate pairs nicely with chile.
Can be topped with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, onions or sour cream.
3 can(s)black beans, low sodium
1 boxvegetable broth, low sodium (32 oz)
1 mediumyellow onion, chopped
3celery ribs, chopped
1/2 can(s)diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
3 clovegarlic, minced or pressed
2 Tbspcocoa powder, unsweetened
1 Tbspolive oil
1 Tbspchipotle chile powder
1lime, zest and 1/2 juice
How to Make Black Bean Molé Soup
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery. Cook until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes. (Be careful not to burn)
- Add beans, vegetable broth, tomatoes, cocoa powder, cumin, and chile powder. Bring to a boil.
- Add lime zest and lime juice, then let simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. Broth will thicken as it simmers.