Black Bean Molé Soup
You can adjust the heat level by the amount of chile powder you add.
If you've never had molé, you may think the addition of the cocoa powder is strange, but it adds a richness and depth to the flavor. And chocolate pairs nicely with chile.
Can be topped with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, onions or sour cream.
- 3 can(s)
- black beans, low sodium
- 1 box
- vegetable broth, low sodium (32 oz)
- 1 medium
- yellow onion, chopped
- celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 can(s)
- diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 Tbsp
- cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 Tbsp
- chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp
- lime, zest and 1/2 juice
How to Make Black Bean Molé Soup
- 1Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and celery. Cook until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add garlic. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes. (Be careful not to burn)
- 4Add beans, vegetable broth, tomatoes, cocoa powder, cumin, and chile powder. Bring to a boil.
- 5Add lime zest and lime juice, then let simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. Broth will thicken as it simmers.