Tom Kha Kai - Thai Coconut/Chicken Soup
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- 2 c
- coconut milk (can use lite, just don't use coconut cream!)
- 6 slice
- galangal (can sub fresh ginger)
- 2 stalk(s)
- lemon grass
- kaffir lime leaves
- 8 oz
- chicken breast, sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp
- fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- lime juice
- 1 tsp
- red thai chili paste
- 1/4 c
- cilantro, torn
- thai chilis (can use jalapeno or other hot chili instead)
How to Make Tom Kha Kai - Thai Coconut/Chicken Soup
- 1Cut lower portion of lemon grass into 1 inch lengths and crush.
Tear kaffir lime leaves in half.
Combine half the coconut milk with the broth, galangal, lemon grass and lime leaves in a large saucepan and heat to boiling.
- 2Add the chicken, fish sauce and sugar.
Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked, then add remaining coconut milk.
- 3Heat just to boiling, add chili paste and lime juice, stir until blended.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and crushed chili peppers.
- 4NOTE: The galangal and lemon grass are for flavoring, not to eat! When I can't get fresh kaffir lime leaves at my local Asian market, I substitute kaffir lime powder. Fresh leaves, lemon grass and galangal can all be successfully frozen. I've also used minced lemon grass in a tube from the produce section. Powdered galangal is available, too. Fresh is better, of course!