Not Yo Mama’s Chicken Stock
Reserve chicken to make “Kick-A-Cold Chicken Soup”
- 1 (3 #) whole chicken
- ½ bunch celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro or parsle 2 medium carrots, scrubbed – not peeled, coarsely choppedy stems
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer layers removed, lightly smashed, coarsely chopped
- 8 dried guajillo chiles
- 2 jalapeños, halved lengthwise (remove seeds or leave in – it’s up to you)
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1 (3“) piece ginger, peeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
How to Make Not Yo Mama’s Chicken Stock
- 1Place chicken, celery, onion, cilantro, carrots, lemongrass, guajillo chiles, jalapeños, garlic, ginger, bay leaves, and coriander in a large stockpot. Add cold water to cover, then bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer, (occasionally skim fat and foam from surface), 50 minutes. Transfer chicken to a rimmed baking sheet; simmer stock 30 minutes longer.
- 4Let stock cool, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, pressing on solids to extract all the liquid; discard solids.
- 5Stock can be kept covered and refrigerated up to 3 days, or frozen up to 3 months.