Mexican Turkey Soup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 2 medium
- onions, chopped
- 4-5 clove
- garlic, chopped
- jalapeno peppers, seeded & finely chopped*
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 can(s)
- beer (approximately)
- tomatillos, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 2 can(s)
- hominy (15-oz cans)
- 2 qt
- turkey or chicken stock (enhance flavor with a little chicken base)
- 1-2 c
- leftover turkey gravy (optional)
- 2 lb
- cooked turkey or chicken
- whipping cream or half & half (optional)
- cilantro, chopped, as garnish (optional)
- tortilla or corn chips, crumbled, as garnish (optional)
How to Make Mexican Turkey Soup
- 1Heat a soup pot over medium high heat and add vegetable oil.
- 2Add onions, grlic, jalapenos, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 3Cook 4-5 minutes to soften onions, then add beer and cook about 1 minute.
- 4Stir in tomatillos and cook 5 minutes more, then stir in hominy, stock, leftover gravy (optional) and the turkey or chicken.
- 5Heat through, adjust salt and pepper.
Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- 6Serve with a dollop of cream.
Try crumbling tortilla chips or corn chips on top.
Tastes even better the next day.
- 7*Also delicious with Poblano peppers.